Google Search

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Reporters Arrested For Filming at D.C. Taxi Commission Hearing

Here's Reason.tv Producer Jim Epstein's account of what happened:

Why I Was Arrested Yesterday at a D.C. Taxi Commission Meeting

On June 22, 2011, I attended a meeting of the D.C. Taxi Commission for a story I'm currently working on about a proposed medallion system in the district.

About half-an-hour into the meeting, I witnessed journalist Pete Tucker snap a still photo of the proceedings on his camera phone. A few minutes later, two police officers arrested Tucker. I filmed Tucker's arrest and the audience's subsequent outrage using my iphone.

A few minutes later, as I was attempting to leave the building, I overheard the female officer who had arrested Tucker promise a woman, who I presumed to be an employee of the Taxi Commission, that she would confiscate my phone. Reason intern Kyle Blaine, overheard her say, "Do you want his phone? I can get his phone."

(The woman who was given assurances by the officer that she could have my phone can be seen at the end of the video telling me, "You do not have permission to record this!")

As I tried to leave, I was told by the same blond female officer to "stay put." I told her I was leaving and attempted to exit the building. I was then surrounded by officers, and told to remain still or I would be arrested.

I didn't move, but I tried to get the attention of a group of cab drivers who were standing nearby. At this point I was arrested.

I spent the remainder of the day in a cell in the basement of the building. I was released at about 4PM.

Related: "Sheer Insanity" as Reporters Arrested at Taxicab Commission Hearing


Latest Tyranny/Police State
- The Ethics of the Police
- The Drug War's Einsatzgruppen
- SWAT Team Honored For Raiding Wrong House?
- Arizona Police Told To Search Arrestee iPhones For Anti-Police Apps
- District Attorney Dismisses Charges Against Woman Who Filmed Cops
- Louisiana Supreme Court Allows Vehicle Searches on a Hunch
- The American Police State is the 'New Normal'
- Rochester police use selective enforcement of parking laws to harass attendees at a meeting in support of Emily Good

Get smart. Get a phone that sports a microSD, record to the card, then just sneak the card out prior to confiscation. Let 'em have the empty phone and put the card where the sun don't shine.

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which in some cases has not been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. Such material is made available for the purposes of news reporting, education, research, comment, and criticism, which constitutes a 'fair use' of such copyrighted material in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner. It is our policy to respond to notices of alleged infringement that comply with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (found at the U.S. Copyright Office) and other applicable intellectual property laws. It is our policy to remove material from public view that we believe in good faith to be copyrighted material that has been illegally copied and distributed by any of our members or users.
About Us - Disclaimer - Privacy Policy
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened..." - Winston Churchill


View the original article here