By Zack Whittaker
LONDON ? At the Office 365 launch, Gordon Frazer, managing director of Microsoft UK, gave the first admission that cloud data ? regardless of where it is in the world ? is not protected against the USA PATRIOT Act.
It was honestly music to my ears. After a year of researching the Patriot Act?s breadth and ability to access data held within protected EU boundaries, Microsoft finally and openly admitted it.
The question put forward:
?Can Microsoft guarantee that EU-stored data, held in EU based datacenters, will not leave the European Economic Area under any circumstances ? even under a request by the Patriot Act??Frazer explained that, as Microsoft is a U.S.-headquartered company, it has to comply with local laws (the United States, as well as any other location where one of its subsidiary companies is based).
Latest Big Brother/Orwellian
- Cancer Surges In Body Scanner Operators; TSA Launches Cover-Up
- Orwell, eat your heart out: 'TSA denies having required a 95-year-old woman to remove diaper'
- Patriot Act Debate: Is the FBI Collecting Your Phone Data?
- 95-yr-old woman dying of leukemia asked to remove adult diaper during TSA search
- TSA stands by officers after pat-down of elderly woman in Florida
- U.S. Using 'Mystery Shoppers' to Check on Access to Doctors
- Senator Leahy Praises US Gov't Censorship Of Websites As ICE Takes Another Victory Lap
- MPAA, RIAA, Major ISPs Preparing 'Graduated Response' To Piracy
This site contains copyrighted material the use of which in some cases has not been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. Such material is made available for the purposes of news reporting, education, research, comment, and criticism, which constitutes a 'fair use' of such copyrighted material in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner. It is our policy to respond to notices of alleged infringement that comply with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (found at the U.S. Copyright Office) and other applicable intellectual property laws. It is our policy to remove material from public view that we believe in good faith to be copyrighted material that has been illegally copied and distributed by any of our members or users.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened..." - Winston Churchill